Interested in a greener clean? A little concerned about the health effects of the chemicals that companies are trying to convince you to buy? Here are some environmentally safe products you can use to clean your home without worrying about dangerous chemicals or smells.
Green cleaning starts with two basic household substances – baking soda and vinegar. Baking soda can be used to clean, deodorize, and scout. Vinegar is great for cutting grease, removing mildew, and deodorizing.
Combining these two can be used to clean your whole home. A great all purpose cleaner can be made from mixing ½ cup vinegar with ¼ cup baking soda and ½ gallon of water. I keep mine in a spray bottle on the kitchen counter.
For special areas of the house, try these mixtures:
- vinyl or linoleum floor cleaner – 1 cup vinegar in 1 gallon of water and 2-3 drops of baby oil
- wood floor cleaner – 1 cup vegetable oil plus 1 cup vinegar
- carpet cleaner – 1 cup vinegar and 1 cup water
- tile floor cleaner – 1 cup vinegar added to 1 gallon water
- Bathroom cleaner – 1 cup hydrogen peroxide and 2 cups water to get rid of mold
- toilet bowl cleaner – ¼ cup baking soda plus 1 cup vinegar
- tile cleaner – baking soda to scour, water to rinse