Super Chicken Chili
3 chopped yellow onions
3 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves minced garlic
2 red peppers cored, seeded, and chopped
2 yellow peppers cored, seeded, and chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 teaspoons coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled plum tomatoes undrained
1/4 cup minced fresh basil leaves
4 split chicken breasts, bone in, skin on
2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
Chopped onions, corn chips, grated cheddar, sour cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Rub the chicken breasts with olive oil and place them on a baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast the chicken for 35 to 40 minutes, until just cooked.
- While the chicken is roasting, saute the onions in a Dutch oven in olive oil over medium-low heat for 10 to 15 minutes, until translucent.
- Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the bell peppers and spices. Cook for 1 minute.
- Crush the tomatoes by hand and add to the pot with the basil.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove chicken from the oven and let it cool slightly. Separate the meat from the bones and skin and cut it into 3/4-inch chunks.
- Add chicken and beans to the chili and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes.
- Serve with the toppings, or refrigerate and reheat gently before serving.