Making Your Real Estate Dreams Come True

A CCO, or Certificate of Continued Occupancy, is required in many areas of New Jersey and elsewhere before the title of any real property can be exchanged. When you sell your home, it’s important to know what your town requires for a CCO. 

To obtain a CCO in Clark, you’ll need to fill out the application which can be found here. If you are selling your home with the assistance of a full service Realtor, he or she will likely file this for you, but if you are selling FSBO, then you’ll need to do this yourself. 

Once the application and fee are received, the Construction Department will schedule an inspection of your home.

These are the most common reasons for failing the CCO Inspection:

  1. Open permits must be closed out before the CCO inspection. 
  2. The blow off valve on your hot water heater must be at least 6 inches off the floor.
  3. The electrical service in the home must be at least 100 amps.
  4. All outlets in the bathrooms and within six feet of the kitchen sink must be GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) protected.
  5. If there is a sump pump, it must not discharge through the sewer.
  6. There can be no cracked or broken windows.
  7. All staircases 36 inches or higher must have railings.
  8. The outlet for your laundry appliances must be GFI protected and be installed within six feet of the appliance.
  9. There can be no extension cords in the property.
  10. Asbestos must be removed or encapsulated if it is deteriorating.

The fee is $75 in Clark. Checks should be made payable to the Township of Clark. The certificate is good for 180 days from the date of issuance.

Clark also requires a Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide Certificate prior to the transfer of title. The cost for the certificate is $50, made payable to the Township of Clark. The application can be found here.

All Clark homes are required to have a smoke detector on each level and one outside of each bedroom.

In Clark homes built before 1984, individual battery operated detectors are acceptable. In homes built between 1984 and 1990 the detectors must be interconnected so that if one goes off, it activates all of the others. In homes built after 1990, the detectors must be interconnected and must have battery backup.

Carbon monoxide detectors, UL-2304, must be installed in the immediate vicinity of each bedroom.

Your home will not be issued a Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide Certificate if a key is required to exit the home from any door.

You also must have a minimum 5 pound ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher in the kitchen area.

Homes must be numbered to be issued a Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide Certificate in Clark.

The form for the CCo and the form for the Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide Certificate, along with the appropriate fees, should be submitted to the Clark Construction Office at least 2 weeks before your anticipated closing date to allow time for an inspection of the home and for filing of the certificates.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Tag Cloud

%d bloggers like this: