- Be sure the doors and windows are locked.
- Install outdoor lighting that makes entrances to your home visible from the street without causing glare.
- Put random lights, televisions, and radios on timers so that anyone watching your home will think you’re still there.
- Prune bushes away from your home so that there aren’t any places for a burglar to hide.
- Contact your post office and newspaper delivery service and stop delivery while you’re gone, or have a neighbor you trust pick up your deliveries.
- Arrange for a neighbor to park in your driveway if you’re taking your car with you.
- Close the blinds so that anyone walking by can’t see what goodies you have.
- Install an alarm system. Prices vary, but if you leave your home often, it may be worth the $50-$100 per month investment.
- Install safety and security window films near windows that are close to door handles to make the windows tough to smash.
- Get a dog. And a dog sitter.
Have a great time on your vacations this year, but make sure your home is safe!