Making Your Real Estate Dreams Come True

Posts tagged ‘smoke detector’

How to obtain a CCO in Cranford

ImageWhen you sell your Cranford home, you will be required to file a Certificate of Continued Occupancy (CCO) to ensure that your home meets certain standards before the new owners take possession. The CCO will only be issued after passing an inspection which includes:

  • Smoke detectors on each level of the house including the basement in the vicinity of the stairs. Smoke detectors must be mounted on the ceiling within 10 feet of each bedroom and at least 4 inches from a corner or on the wall between 4 and 12 inches from the ceiling. Attics also require smoke detectors if they are habitable.
  • Carbon monoxide detectors are required on each level and must be outside and within 10 feet of each bedroom if the home has a fuel burning appliance or an attached garage.
  • If the building has a sump pump, it must discharge outside the building and may not be discharged into the sanitary sewer system.
  • The building must have the appropriate zoning regulations for the area which you can determine by calling the zoning officer at 908-709-7212.
  • You must have at least one fire extinguisher which must be labeled, charged, operable, and portable with a minimum rating of 2A:10BC for residential use. It may not weigh more than 10 pounds and must be visible and readily accessible within 10 feet of the kitchen near a room exit or travel path to the outside. It must be mounted using the manufacturer’s bracket and the extinguisher’s tip can be no higher than 5 feet above the floor.
  • Your house number must be within 4 and 8 inches in height and must be clearly visible from the street. It must be between 4 feet and 10 feet above the ground and must be weatherproof and securely mounted against a contrasting background. If the home is set back more than 150 feet from the street, then the street number must also be displayed on a sign visible from and within 25 feet of the street.
  • There can be no open building permits.


A CCO in Cranford costs $70 and the application can be downloaded here

How do I obtain a CCO in Clark?

A CCO, or Certificate of Continued Occupancy, is required in many areas of New Jersey and elsewhere before the title of any real property can be exchanged. When you sell your home, it’s important to know what your town requires for a CCO. 

To obtain a CCO in Clark, you’ll need to fill out the application which can be found here. If you are selling your home with the assistance of a full service Realtor, he or she will likely file this for you, but if you are selling FSBO, then you’ll need to do this yourself. 

Once the application and fee are received, the Construction Department will schedule an inspection of your home.

These are the most common reasons for failing the CCO Inspection:

  1. Open permits must be closed out before the CCO inspection. 
  2. The blow off valve on your hot water heater must be at least 6 inches off the floor.
  3. The electrical service in the home must be at least 100 amps.
  4. All outlets in the bathrooms and within six feet of the kitchen sink must be GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) protected.
  5. If there is a sump pump, it must not discharge through the sewer.
  6. There can be no cracked or broken windows.
  7. All staircases 36 inches or higher must have railings.
  8. The outlet for your laundry appliances must be GFI protected and be installed within six feet of the appliance.
  9. There can be no extension cords in the property.
  10. Asbestos must be removed or encapsulated if it is deteriorating.

The fee is $75 in Clark. Checks should be made payable to the Township of Clark. The certificate is good for 180 days from the date of issuance.

Clark also requires a Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide Certificate prior to the transfer of title. The cost for the certificate is $50, made payable to the Township of Clark. The application can be found here.

All Clark homes are required to have a smoke detector on each level and one outside of each bedroom.

In Clark homes built before 1984, individual battery operated detectors are acceptable. In homes built between 1984 and 1990 the detectors must be interconnected so that if one goes off, it activates all of the others. In homes built after 1990, the detectors must be interconnected and must have battery backup.

Carbon monoxide detectors, UL-2304, must be installed in the immediate vicinity of each bedroom.

Your home will not be issued a Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide Certificate if a key is required to exit the home from any door.

You also must have a minimum 5 pound ABC dry chemical fire extinguisher in the kitchen area.

Homes must be numbered to be issued a Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide Certificate in Clark.

The form for the CCo and the form for the Smoke Detector/Carbon Monoxide Certificate, along with the appropriate fees, should be submitted to the Clark Construction Office at least 2 weeks before your anticipated closing date to allow time for an inspection of the home and for filing of the certificates.


Biannual Tasks You need to do this Weekend!

Don’t forget to change your batteries on your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors this weekend!

Other tasks you should schedule twice a year and isn’t this weekend a great time to do them:

  • Review and practice fire escape plans from your home.
  • Reprogram your thermostat.
  • Check your fire extinguisher in your kitchen – does it need to be inspected?

Tag Cloud

%d bloggers like this: